Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Flavored extra virgin olive oil is all wrong

Apple infused Texas Angel Oil extra virgin olive oil the EVOOs model. Just to be clear this is not real and this is solely meant in jest. However, the photo was taken with my iPhone 6s and I had a random Apple sticker laying around I stuck onto the bottle. Outside of that Apple sticker there is no flavoring or network connectivity.
I actually was going to put something about chocolate olive oil or bacon flavored olive oil, but it turns out those are real flavors. Can't say that I've tried them and I'll continue experimenting with flavors like rosemary, lemon, basil, garlic, jalapeno, chipotle, habanero, garlic, and sriracha. All come with dangers and challenges like, "Botulism".
Botulism, technical name Clostridium botulinum, are bacteria spores that can spread in certain foods when not exposed to oxygen. Fresh extra virgin olive oil does not like oxygen and hence a challenge begins for mass production.
You can avoid botulism with olive oil by heating it and yet again another problem with flavoring olive oil due to fresh olive oil quickly breaking down with heat.
So let's refrigerate it and you get…well you guessed it that yet another problem is confronted with the cooler tempratures damaging the subtle flavors of fresh high quality olive oil.
What to do? At this time I am making no flavored olive oils for mass consumption, but they will be coming when I'm confident quality will not be impacted and the product can be assured safe.
In the meantime you can flavor your own, but I strongly recommend you only flavor small bottles of olive oil and plan to use or discard any unused products within 14 days.
Stay safe my friends for botulism shows not signs in taste or color of the product.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment